diy leaf wreath

Hey hey!  Happy Monday!  It’s that Monday again … the one where we share those super simple, easy peasy, ‘it’s a cinch’ type projects.

You’ve seen my leaf wreath in a couple of vignettes recently on the blog.

First we did our fall mantel, because we like to be way ahead of the curve. :)
fall mantel

And then we spiced it up a bit with a little green metallic spray paint.
shelf

Just to be sure you all realize you can totally make one of these beauties for yourself, here is the step-by-step of how to make a leaf wreath.  :)

Total time, about 15 minutes!  Seriously, this was one of those projects that I was looking forward to an afternoon of a Project Runway marathon (in my dreams I am a fabulous seamstress) and a little crafting.  And, 10 minutes later, when I was almost done I was a little bummed, I have to admit. #NeedAnotherExcuseToNotDoTheDishes

wreath

Step #1 – Pick your wreath form – mine was an after Christmas decoration I bought on sale for about $1.  I had used it in another wreath attempt … hence the polka dot fabric.

Step #2 – Collect your leaves – We have them in abundance and the idea for this wreath came to me on a walk around the hood with the girls … in, like, March.  I feel like I deserve an Olympic medal for waiting until July to make the fall wreath. ;) NOTE:  I only used about one-fiftieth of the amount of leaves I collected.  It had me thinking I could totally pull a ‘Hildi straw wall’ and cover one of our wall in leaves!  Ummmm, no.

Step #3 – Hot glue your leaves to your wreath form – I didn’t worry about front or back of the leaf.  I just used full leaves and went to town, making sure to overlap enough so the wreath form wasn’t visible anywhere.
wreath

TIP!!! Keep a trash can near by to toss the damaged leaves and those you don’t want to use to get them out of your way.

And that’s it! Easy peasy, right!?!?  And so versatile with the spray paint … one red, one white and one blue for Labor Day maybe? Or spray painted gold or silver for the holidays? What would you do with your leaf wreath?
fall mantel

And, if you’d like to see my previous ‘it’s a cinch’ projects you can go here, herehere and here.

And, to see what our walk around the ‘hood is like you can check it out here.

AND, don’t forget to check in on my ‘It’s a Cinch’ gal pals … here’s a sneak peek at what they’ve been up to … just click on the picture to get a closer look at their projects.  :)

August it's a cinch from andreaAugust it's a cinch final eclectically vintage music sheet table runner  (2)

August it's a cinch Carved Rock Necklace-1 (2)     chalkboard_paint_pots_succulent_plants_thumbnail

August It's a Cinch Karah's

Bookmark the permalink.

64 Responses to diy leaf wreath

1. I’d wear that leaf wreath around my head so I could be the female Julius Ceasar and would rock that thing like nobody’s business. Of course, I’d probably spray paint it hot pink, or maybe metallic gold!

Can’t wait for fall so I can scour the yard for leaves so I can make my very own fabulous wreath leaf!

2. Love this wreath! So great for fall and lord knows I have plenty of leaves sitting in my yard in the fall!

3. Anne says:

Cute wreath! Love the easy peasy projects!!!

4. You can still go all Project Runway and glue those extra leaves onto a skirt or a top …

Love the easy peasy leaf wreath and our it’s a cinch first Mondays!

5. thistle says:

I love your wreath brown, gold or rainbow colored! Great project!

Have a great day!

6. andrea cammarata says:

Oh my island girl — how fabulous and back to nature is this project! I LOVE IT!!!! Actually it is really genius!!! Thanks for sharing your creative passions with us all!!! Always great to be celebrating It’s a Cinch with you! Sending tons of hugs to all especially the furry M&M team!!!

7. So cute! I really want to put one of these together for the fall!

8. I didn’t realize you made the wreath, too! I just thought you spray painted it. It looks great and easy enough. Now just need to find me some leaves!!!! They’ll be falling soon enough here in the mountains so I’ll grab some them! Thanks for sharing. The possibilities are endless!!!

9. Love the wreath brown, love the wreath green…now this may be one of the few projects you have presented that I can actually do…no power tools required..!!…Beautiful Karah! Now is that Mico looking and smiling at it with such approval?

10. Yes! Pull a Hildi! I knew you were my type of girl, but that reference seals the deal:)

11. cassie says:

it looks awesome and i love the 3 easy to understand steps! even i can do it. heck…. so could my dog, jake.

12. Gosh, I have tons of Magnolia leaves on the ground. What a super use for them! Thanks for sharing!

13. My first thought was to keep the leaves in their natural leaf colour, spray them with a quick clear coat, and then a light dusting of snow spray for the holidays. I think that’s what I would do, but then I like the idea of giving them a weathered gray coat instead. In the end, not sure, but I’d like to give this project a try! So glad you shared the DIY steps – thank you :-)

14. emily says:

your wreath is amazing! I would love one of these for fall! hard to even think that fall is coming so quick! What lovely inspiration! Just wanted to invite you to join my Tasteful Tuesday Party. I have been hosting a recipe party (pretty successfully!!!) for over a year now, and this week we are opening up for crafts, DIY and home decor. Hope you can come by and check it out! http://www.nap-timecreations.com/2012/08/fresh-pesto-pasta-salad-and-tasteful.html

15. Suzanne says:

Your wreath is just perfect for Fall. Simple and lovely – can’t ask for much more! Thanks for sharing.

16. LOVE, the wreath! I really like that you can paint it any colour you want. Great job!
    Thanks for sharing.

17. Kristy Rohm says:

Loving the wreath instructs…my kind of project …easy peasy!!! I have a nature preserve in behind my property so leaves are easy to come by. I think I may try it with oak leaves too!

Love to the babies!

18. Kristy Rohm says:

Loving the wreath instructions…my kind of project …easy peasy!!! I have a nature preserve in behind my property so leaves are easy to come by. I think I may try it with oak leaves too!

Love to the babies!

19. I love this for fall, Karah! But you’re right — it’s really very versatile! :) Love. xo Heidi

20. anne says:

Karah,
    LOVE this idea!!! Looks so pretty.But I am not ready for fall LOL! I h ate the heat.But I am still enjoying the colors of summer.This will be a fun project to try.This could stay up until Thanksgiving too!
    xx
    Anne

21. Megan says:

Just beautiful! I love your entire mantle. Megan

22. The metallic spray paint is beautiful! Pinned. :)

23. Karen says:

I love it!! I have to wait a while for leaves to be falling around here, unless you count the kind that are brown and dried up from extreme heat and no rain……

24. Karen says:

I love this. I have leaves just like from a tree in my front yard! This is on my list for fall! Thanks! I am visiting form Not Just a Housewife’s Show Me what Ya got party!

25. I am in love with your wreath! It is so Gorgeous! :)
    I am going to have to find some leaves and make one.
    xoxo
    Heather

26. so i’m really behind on my commenting if you couldn’t tell. i love this wreath. both ways. you should make a new one for fall. of just make a new one and ship it to me. you have my address. i’m shipping your headboard tomorrow….

27. emily says:

so beautiful!!! Thanks for linking to the first every craft link at Tasteful Tuesdays! Hope you come back again this week and show off your stuff! Party Opens tonight at 8:30. http://www.nap-timecreations.com

28. Tauni says:

What a fun fall display. The wreath is great too. Wonderful project!

Thanks for sharing on Show & Tell at SNAP! I enjoy seeing your links every week.

xoxo, Tauni

29. Dottie says:

Wow! This must have taken a long time! Looks great! Would love if you’d join our Countdown to Fall link party! Hope to see you there! Have a great week!

30. Pingback: Hookin Up with HoH #112

31. Courtney says:

Love this- sharing at the party tonight~ thanks for linking up at Feathered Nest Friday!

32. Emily says:

So easy and the green spray paint looks awesome! What size wreath foam did you end up using?

I’m so glad you like it, Emily! I actually used a flat, round Christmas decoration I got last year on sale after the holidays. It is about 12 inches in diameter, with about 2 inches of surface area all of the way around. I hope this helps, don’t hesitate to ask any other questions. I’m sure a round form would also work, it would just require more leaves. :) I’d love to see it if you make one.

33. Jean Marshall says:

good morning, I live in FL and have leaves all year long dur to our big oak on our front lawn. how ever I will wait till fall arrives so I can get nice fresh ones. Love this wreath, I hope to make my form from cardboard, double back it attach to hanger between the two pieces and paint a brown to match the leaves. No chance of any gaps showing.Thanks for a great inspiration…….jeanne

34. theboldabode says:

Gorgeous wreath! I’ll be waiting for the leaves to fall, now!

35. Pingback: wreath, tutorial, how to, Fall, Autumn

36. Incredible transformation from a pile of leaves to an artful wreath. Wow!

37. I love the au natural wreath and the green wreath! How fun and versatile! Thanks for the tutorial. I so want to do this! xoxo

38. Miss Kitty says:

I love it! When I first saw the thumbnail photo over at “Domestically Speaking” Fall blog party I thought “oh no…that’s a lot of leaves to press in a book and wait and wait and wait”…but NO…you have a much easier way. This really does look easy…thanks for sharing the “how to”s with us.

39. Pingback: the space between | decorating ideas {autumn mantle} fall mantel

40. Pingback: the space between | month in minutes {august 2012}

41. Pingback: month in minutes {august 2012} - the space between

42. Pingback: restoring {old wood} scrape, strip and sand - the space between

43. Pingback: decorating ideas {autumn mantle} fall mantel - the space between

44. Pingback: fall craft {pumpkin} - the space between

45. Hi! I actually like it in both colors :-) visiting thru Cheri’s Fall party
    JoAnn

46. I love this wreath! I’m going to have to make one! The whole mantel is lovely.

47. Claire says:

Love your wreath! I’m featuring it on my Saturday favs and would love for you to stop by-Have a great weekend! Claire

48. LOVE it! Featuring this one too, Karah…I’m doing a ‘natural’ fall decor round up and you’re the star with so many great projects! Thanks for linking – I love the reminder to get over here to see what you’ve been up to! :)

49. Pingback: DIY Fall Festival – 12 Natural Fall Decor Craft Highlights & Linky Party | | DIY Show Off ™ - DIY Decorating and Home Improvement BlogDIY Show Off ™ – DIY Decorating and Home Improvement Blog

50. Absolutely gorgeous! Your whole mantel is beautiful. I’m glad I found you at the Spray Paint party.
    Leslie

51. Wow – love that blue. Thanks so much for linking up at our party! Take care, Laura

52. THE STRAW WALL! LOL!! That was classic! I’m completely in love with the color of this wreath!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I’m totally going to copy! :)

-Christine