the great outdoors {diy door trough}

Do you ever have those ideas that just spring you into action?

Pin It

I was trying to organize my week. My eyes landed on my little spring wreath and I thought “I need to update the door decor”. Then I thought “I need a great outdoors idea”.  And it just came to me.

I thought it was going to be so easy I took a photo of my watch so I could track the time.
A quick, easy, free project.  Go!

I headed out to my scrap wood pile and with my wonder bar and hammer (and Mico supervising) removed one lone slat from a pallet.

I cut two pieces 12 inches long (for the front and back) and two pieces 3 inches long (for each end), then put them together like this to mark where to cut the piece for the bottom.

Then I moved into my favorite construction spot, the coffee table, because it is stinkin’ hot outside at 2 in the afternoon, and just hammered in enough nails to keep it all together.

Then I headed back outside to sand.  One thing worse than sanding in the sun is definitely unnecessary cleaning.  Am I right ladies?!? ;)

Then I wrapped some jute around both ends of the trough leaving enough of a length to hang it from the screw in our door. And Stop!

Umm, yeah.  I didn’t even think until just this second I could have actually used the stop watch function on said stop watch. Smarty.

This little project took all of 40 minutes and now I have a totally free (LOVE it!) and very versatile little rustic trough for our front door.

I am already imagining the possibilities.  But I immediately knew I wanted to start with these beautiful yellow flowers that are now in bloom here.

What?!?  Those flowers aren’t yellow?!?  Well, ummm, yeah.  It couldn’t all be just totally easy, right.  :)

I grabbed a canvas shopping bag and some clippers and hopped on our scooter – yep, still waiting on jeep parts!  And headed out to snip some of these overwhelmingly gorgeous yellow blossoms I oogled at all weekend.

And. Couldn’t. Find. Any!  Well, that’s not totally true.  I climbed into the woods on the side of the road only to find that the tree was much larger up close than it appeared from the street.  Darn it!

Low and behold, those suckers only bloom for a couple of days, and I didn’t even snap one pic. Ack!  But my much-more-efficient-than-I-fellow-Curacao-blogger posted some awesome pics of the beautiful Kibrahacha blossoms here.  I highly recommend you check them out.

So, I’m stuck with the always-in-bloom-everywhere-you-look-on-this-island-and-attract-iguanas-like-crazy bougainvillea.

But, I’m so happy with my new little free trough I’m quick to get over the fleeting yellow buds.

Pin It

And this little project has definitely gotten me in The Great Outdoors mood.  Are you planning to link up to the party?  May 29th, 7am eastern time.  The Last Tuesday in May, the one after the long Memorial Day weekend.  Link up here and you’re linked up to 5 fab blogs.

the space between

So, now that you’re in The Great Outdoors mood too, other than flowers, what would you put in my trough?

Aaaaand now, back to organizing my week.  We have a very fun, last-minute visitor coming to town.  He is actually coming for work but I’m planning to monopolize as much friend time as possible.  When you only invite 8 people to your wedding and you get to catch up with one of them after 2 years, work can wait, right!?!? Just don’t tell work that.  :)

I am sharing at TDC.

TDC Before and After

Tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to the great outdoors {diy door trough}

1. Anne says:

The red flowers against the red door look awesome. Why don’t I have any pallets with wood that close together??? Mine all have big spaces in between… Love your project, so cute!!! Love that door colour, too.

Have a great day!
    xox

2. andrea cammarata says:

HOW FABULOUS IS THIS!!!! You are surely taking it OUTDOORS and with total and utter FLAIR!!!! You rock my island friend!!!! hugs to all and especially the girls!!!! : )

3. haha, thanks for the mention Karah! and I LOVE the trough, it’s so cute – am going to share it on FB and Twitter!

4. 40 minutes – in the sweltering sun! It was worth it (as I sit back in the air conditioning and admire your hard work)!

Love the trough – love the iguana attracting bougainvillea (who knew)!

What else should you put in there? Iguanas?

5. That turned out so cute! I love the touch of jute on the ends.

6. you are the pallet/reclaimed wood queen!!! awesome idea!

7. i love bougainvillaea! I first saw it when I was staying in L.A. on extended business. There they were a hot fuchsia.

Heck that flowering plant / weed grows all over EVERYWHERE! Fences, garbage cans, slow moving red radio flyers puled by 3 year olds!

Very cute rustic addition to your home :)

8. This is so clever! I love that is sort of has a rustic feel and the flowers are beautiful (even if they are a dime a dozen on the island!) :)

9. You kill me! I only WISH I had ideas spring me into action like this one…

10. cassie says:

less than 45 minutes- shazam! and it looks cool!

11. Kristy Rohm says:

Just gotta say my Caribbean Friend…you rock…loving to bougainvillaea…wish it loved me that much. I can’t get it to grow :(

12. And I thought those flowers were fake! Once again the pluses of island living. So sorry you could capture the yellow blooms though. And look! You found a fellow island blogger! You’ll have to get together …

And did you cut the wood just with a saw? No power tools needed?

13. thistle says:

Karah,

I love this idea! What a fun pallet project. I’m with Linda….I thought those flowers were fake :) Thanks for the incredible glimpse of the Caribbean!

blessings,

14. That looks amazing! I love how vivid the flowers are!

15. Zoe says:

Well those red flowers just rock!

16. Pam Irie says:

The red flowers against the weathered wood are super fine!

17. Cute and the red flowers look great!

18. kirby says:

This is great–and so easy!

19. Mikki says:

What a great idea and it looks beautiful!!

Great job!

Stopping by via Addicts Anonymous

20. lomoherz says:

This looks very cool, great idea! Now to find a bench I can destroy… :)

21. Rachel says:

Very cute, I love pallet ideas and happen to have some bits of one lying around to try this!! I have to pin.

22. Really cute! I have some leftover pallet from my last project too…

23. I am so late getting over here but I love the new blog design!

Oh, and this window box is adorable. Love it. Would you make me one? ;)

24. Pingback: Look What I Made! Link Party 5-23-2012 | Creations by Kara

25. Jenny says:

I love your trough! It is the perfect outdoor decorating tool! Thanks for linking up and I featured you this week!

26. So awesome! Love this trough and reminds me I need to find a pallet! Pinning! Thanks so much for sharing at Mom On Timeout!

27. Pingback: Top 100 DIY Sites for Home Improvement Fanatics.

28. Pingback: Hanging Flower Trough