driftwood {christmas tree}

christmas tree

Hello, hello!  Last Wednesday I read this post from these two uber-talented (and funny) gals, Katie B and Sherry P and REALLY wanted to participate.  This time around they are co-hosting the challenge with Ana White and Erin from House of Earnest.

stalked followed the summer challenge and just loved the idea and the projects that were submitted.  But at that point I hadn’t taken the plunge into Pinterest OR blogging.  But, I had just gone beach combing to gather driftwood to make something like this pic I had pinned.  (Pic source here.)

christmas tree

And, since I live on the island of Curaçao and am literally surrounded by driftwood AND fancy myself a DIYer I figured I’d give it a go.  First, I made this one:
christmas tree

then I made a couple more…

christmas tree

christmas tree

As you can see, I played around with decorating them with a combination of coral, sea glass and more traditional Christmas tree décor.  And from there I was unstoppable.  Well, except when Ellen came on.  Seriously, Justin Timberlake and Cold Play for the whole hour?!?!  Yes please!

For a complete rundown, here was my process over the course of a few days:
christmas treeGather driftwood – Free and Fun! Especially since I was with the hubs.  :)

When we got the wood home it ended up in a pile on our patio and I started organizing it by size and separating the odd-shaped pieces that might make good “tree trunks”.  (Yes, we clearly over-gathered, but there are other projects in sight.)  I basically ended up with two long lines of wood in the shape of a VERY tall tree.

This made it easier to select pieces for the individual trees I was going to make since the end shape I wanted was, well, a tree.  Brilliant!  With the pieces all laid out I sprayed them with an anti-bacterial cleaner and let them dry thoroughly over the course of a few days.  Then just brush off any loose sand, etc as you select pieces to use.  (Please excuse the black dog leg and tail in the photo, you can formally meet her here.)
christmas treechristmas treeBuy dowels – I got ¼ inch diameter in 48 inch long segments and ½ and ¾ inch diameter in 36 inch lengths.  I can give pricing, but being that I live on a Caribbean island everything is inflated.  Let’s just say they’re cheap. :)
christmas tree

Make sure you have the right size drill bits – One that is the exact size of the dowel and then one slightly bigger (the wood goes on the dowel MUCH easier if the hole is slightly larger, but the snug fits are good for stability).  I used a 5/16 inch drill bit as my “slightly bigger” of the ¼ inch and a 9/16 inch drill bit for the ½ inch dowel.

TIP!!! Drill the thinner pieces and the smaller pieces of driftwood at the top of the tree the exact size as the dowel, the thinner/smaller the piece of wood = the easier to finagle the tight fit.
christmas tree

Gather your tools – I used a hand saw, electric drill, tape measure, pen and vice grips. From my experience the vice grips will only be necessary if you insist on man handling a piece of wood onto the dowel and then the dowel breaks while stuck in the wood.

TIP!!!  I learned, after a few vice grip usages (I am nothing if not a slow learner) that if the dowel starts to stick in the driftwood make the hole slightly larger by maneuvering the drill in a circular motion with the drill in the existing hole and DON’T try to show it who is boss, you will lose.

DIY it!  I started by selecting the longest piece of driftwood I wanted for each specific tree and then selected increasingly smaller pieces until I had the height I wanted.  The possibilities really are limitless.  Do you prefer a short, stout tree?  Or maybe a tall, slender tree that would fit nicely into a corner?  Or maybe a petite little one for a side or coffee table?

I like the “diversity” of the wood.  So I would try to pick a round piece after a flat piece or maybe one that had some paint or texture after a flat, smooth piece. But again, make it to your own style.  Maybe a more streamlined look of all the same color and shape is more your style?

Once I had the wood for the tree selected I picked a “trunk”.  The biggest determining factor in your options is going to be what you were able to find at the beach.  (I can picture you saying “Why thank you Captain Obvious!” right now.)  Anyway, it is what it is so pick from what you’ve got, or distress a small block of 2×4 or something that could work.

Then I laid my selections out to 1) make sure it seemed like it was going to look good and 2) measure the length of dowel I would need.  I didn’t actually use the tape measure for this part, I just eye balled it and cut the dowel with my handsaw.  I kept mine plenty long figuring it would be easier to cut more at the end than to end up needing a longer piece.  (And, there are some really cute tall tree toppers that could be used if the dowel is left 6 or so inches taller than the actual tree.)

christmas tree

Now, just drill it – I used the drill bit the exact same size as the dowel in the “trunk” so it fits nice and snug.

As you can clearly see from the pics a real work space is not needed. ;) I stacked a couple unused patio bricks to create a work surface (with a small separation in the middle for drilling and sawing) and sat in a beach chair because it was just the right height.  Measure half the length of the piece of wood and then I just eye balled half the width.
christmas tree

I actually kept the tape measure in the locked position and right there on my work surface because you will repeat this step for each piece of wood.  (Remembering to switch between your two drill bits as you see fit.)  I chose to drill one piece at a time and then add it to the tree as I went, then I could see how each piece looked and determine which drill bit I should use next.

After a few accessories, these are a couple of the trees I ended up with.
christmas treechristmas treechristmas tree

What do you think?  I would love to hear your feedback!
driftwood christmas tree collage

Update:  Find many more upcycling ideas here, like an easy driftwood fish craftseaglass and driftwood Christmas craft, coconut candy corn and silhouette art.

I’ve been thinking that I might try a driftwood version of something like the tall tree in this picture…
christmas tree

I found this tree pic here.

Just for fun here is the view I had from Pilates Monday morning.  I hope you are all enjoying your space today!christmas tree

Tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

110 Responses to driftwood {christmas tree}

1. Astrid at RedRedCompletelyRed says:

Looks great! I love driftwood , too — ah, to live by the beach! Where will you put your trees?

2. karahb says:

Thank you Astrid for taking the time to leave a comment! You have all kinds of great things on your blog! I will actually be selling some trees at an upcoming Brit Club (I saw you are British – it’s one fun bunch!) meeting. I am an American living in the Caribbean and a member of the Brit Club. Go figure. :) I do hope to make some bigger ones and then we’ll see where they end up in our small space. Enjoy your space today!

3. Dana says:

These are AMAZING! I love these trees. If only I lived near some driftwood! Somehow scouring the banks of the Mississippi in St. Louis doesn’t sound nearly as wonderful as your time on the beach. :-)

4. Carole Chang says:

Your trees look neat Karah & I love your blog! Success with your venture & have a lot of fun meanwhile! Looking forward to your ‘exhibit’ at The Brit Club meeting in december!!

• karahb says:

Thanks Carole! I am having fun with the blog and the trees. I’m looking forward to the meeting, and Pub Quiz Saturday, see you there. I hope you’re enjoying your space today! :)

5. karahb says:

THANK YOU Dana! I have been following you since I saw your side table on Knock Off Decor! Love your stuff. Not sure if you’re a baseball fan, but congrats on the Cardinals’ World Series win. Looking forward to what you come up with next. Thanks again for taking the time to comment. :)

6. Pingback: 2 Moments of Underwhelming Intelligence « the space between

7. Kelley says:

Oh Wow!! I am so touched that you loved my House Rules made from a camping chair! The funniest thing is that this weekend I was at Crafts Direct in St Cloud, MN and found these rules as a vinyl rub on. I could have saved so much time! Oh well!

I love your project! Very creative!

8. Pingback: Driftwood Christmas Trees — Knock Off Decor

9. Jenny says:

Oh my goodness I am so jealous of your Pilates and the view! These trees are beautiful! I love that you used something so organic and repurposed it into something so pretty. Driftwood is pretty on its own if you ask me.

Have you linked up with Creative Me Monday? It’s open all week long and I’d love to have you! You can link up as many projects as you’d like! The link is:

Hope to see you there!

10. It turned out great. I especially like the first one. Very artistic and natural. You have the jackpot of driftwood. I bet there are a lot of creative ways to use it.

11. Kelsey says:

Wow I can’t believe you can find THAT much driftwood!! I’m living in the Caribbean right now and it is few and far between… but I have been stocking up on sea glass! Thanks for sharing, I’ll have to scour the beach to find enough to make a tree!!

12. Pingback: I Like Big Bags and I Can Not Lie :) « the space between

13. Lorrie says:

Love you trees! wow, to live on the beach, what a dream come true! Lucky you!

14. Amanda says:

My goodness, these are so cute! I’ve been meaning to make one for a while, your cute trees have definitely inspired me to actually do it. Thanks for sharing!

15. Sumo says:

Thanks for linking up! I’ll be featuring this on my blog on Saturday!

Thanks!
    Sumo:)

16. Kathy says:

What a great and unusual idea to use driftwood to make christmas trees.
    Good job!
    Kathy

17. Such a cool, beachy tree. Great for warm weather Christmas.

I’d love for you to add this idea (and any others you like) to my weekly Thrifty Thursdays blog party. Here’s the link:Thrifty Thursdays

18. Megacrafty says:

Those trees came out great! Very neat idea.

19. rebekahdawn says:

How cute! I’ve never seen anything like that before – very unique and creative!

20. Love your Driftwood Christmas Tree. A girl after my own heart! I have handmade Driftwood Sailboats and Whales up on my blog and would love for you to check them out. I’m also giving away a Driftwood Sailboat. Glad I found you…..Sherron

21. this turned out fantastic!!! Great job!!

22. Hello there. I love this idea. LOVE. I shared this on my COM-FB page. Have a super night. winks, jen

23. marilyn says:

Nothing better than crafts from nature. Love the Xmas tree ideas, clever and so cute!

24. That would be perfect in my beach house!!

I’d love for you to come join in my Simply Christmas link party at http://shabbyartboutique.blogspot.com

25. Pingback: 11-11-11 Hockey Bag Pillow « the space between

26. DIY Addict says:

Hi! this is so unique. thanks for sharing.

27. Kimberlee says:

Ok… I love this project even more than the pillow! Thanks again for linking up at FiF.
    ~Kimberlee, The Spunky Diva

28. Rachel Sue says:

This is gorgeous! I would love to feature this on Reduce, Reuse, Upcycle. Feel free to stop by and grab a featured button. Thanks!

29. Marie says:

This is such a great idea! So glad you linked up with us! Have a great week!

Marie
    mylilpinkpocket.blogspot.com

30. thisdiylife says:

Love this little tree! I wish we lived somewhere with driftwood :) I’m so glad you liked my state art too [blushing]. Thanks for linking it!

31. Pingback: Monday Matinee – Bottle It Up « the space between

32. Merry says:

Wow..what a fantastic post and I so love these trees you have created….I saw you over on Inspire me Friday and had to visit.

33. Claire says:

Thanks for this tutorial that I found by googling xmas driftwood trees. I don’t live near the beach, but I just go in the forest and collect fallen off branches. I hope this will give a good enough result! Just tired of cleaning up pine needles, and I am very muchinto DIY lately. So this looks like a great project.

• I think branches will work great. I’ve made a few bigger ones since this post and just used a 1/2 or 3/4 inch dowel for the bottom half and drilled straight down into that dowel with a 1/4 inch drill bit and inserted a 1/4 inch dowel to finish up the top. Hope you have fun making yours! Happy Holidays!

34. Megacrafty says:

Karah- I LOVED this project the moment on saw it. Then I saw that you had joined my crafty christmas tree challenge and I’m so excited! I think yours will be the only handmade tree with handmade ornaments- that’s awesome- not to mention such an unusual take on the normally tradition pine tree.

35. Pingback: Map it out, Dress it up, Cross your fingers « the space between

36. Jenny says:

I love your trees! Must go searching for some driftwood soon.

37. Pingback: Five Finger Discounts « the space between

38. What a unique Christmas project!! I’m so jealous that you have all of that driftwood at your fingertips!!

Thank you so much for linking this up to the 26-Day Christmas Craft Marathon Linky Party!!

~Lisa

39. Pingback: Nesting « the space between

40. Pingback: Sea Urchin Snow women « the space between

41. cassie says:

this is such a cool idea! i love the rustic look!

42. Pingback: Homemade Christmas Tree Finale « the space between

43. Emily says:

This is great! I started something similar but ended up with something totally different so I still have this on my to-do list.
    Emily
    domesticdeadline.blogspot.com

44. Kara says:

I love how this driftwood tree. I would love for you to add it to my Best of 2011 link party, as well as any other projects you are most proud of from this year. Visit http://www.petalstopicots.com.
    ~Kara

45. What a cool idea! I love it – we live right by the beach as well, so I could totally make this! I’ve got this linked to my Christmas trees post too today – happy holidays!

46. Pingback: 2011 Shout Outs! « the space between

47. Pingback: End of Year Organization « the space between

48. Pingback: 12 Days of Kindness – Part II « the space between

49. Pingback: I do! We did (Twice!). I finally made a memento about it. « the space between

50. Pingback: Driftwood Abounds « the space between

51. Karah,
    It’s so rustic! And, beachy, and…natural!
    I’m glad that your family decided to keep it up all year. I Pinned it at http://pinterest.com/pin/218495019391459133/

I’m hoping that we will make one of our own. Since we live in the Midwest and not on a beach – lucky bird – ours will likely be a bit more rugged. We can use fallen wood from the woods!

So excited!
    Thanks for sharing your tutorial!
    ~ Dana
    Cooking at Cafe D

52. Pingback: The Nitty Gritty Hanging Details « the space between

53. Pingback: What does my blog want to be when it grows up? « the space between

54. Bliss says:

I’m gonna get in trouble for this, so hopefully not a lot of people are coming back to read your first post and if they do, that they don’t read my comment. But sometimes I can’t help myself when I think of something funny, sooooo

I started by selecting the longest piece of drift wood too, his name is Brawn.

~Bliss~

55. Pingback: the month in minutes – january 2012 « the space between

56. Tina says:

Lots of fun here today, Karah!
    I might go to Pilates if my view looked like that.
    Great work!
    P.S. I’m going to call Miss Bliss out on her comment-
    I saw it, Mrs. Brawn! What a laugh!

57. creativeinchi says:

Karah…look what I saw on my vacation in California http://www.creativeinchicago.com/2012/04/come-to-beach-with-me.html

58. Pingback: the month in minutes – january 2012 |

59. Pingback: Decorating with Driftwood {Guest Post}: The Space Between | * View Along the Way *

60. Katie says:

LOVE this christmas tree! I collect mini xmas tree and (as if I need another…) I am SO making this at some point before this xmas. It will be the newest addition to my collection. Thank you for the inspiration!

Visit my blog sometime if you have the chance :) http://www.misstweedle.blogspot.com

~ Katie from Canada

61. Pingback: DIY from The Space Between | | DIY Show Off ™DIY Show Off ™

62. What a cool idea! I just love these trees! Such a simple yet effective design.

Shared on FJI Facebook and pinned for SNS 138. :)

Donna

63. Pingback: Creating Really Awesome Free Trips: Curacao Island |

64. Pingback: who the heck are you? - the space between

65. Debbie says:

How adorable these are! Found the link for this post from your who the heck are you post. Love the look of these trees. How lucky you are to live near such a huge supply of driftwood!
    Debbie :)

66. Kristy Rohm says:

A whole year later and you are STILL amazing!!!! I missed this post…wasn’t following you then but I love these trees!!!

67. michelle brice says:

stumbled across your site on facebook , love driftwood, i live about 15 20 mins away from the sea but im there at least 2 times a week collecting the beautiful driftwood that the sea washes up. ive also made some of the trees, mine do not look as good as yours. i make driftwood signs aswell..i love it all, will love to follow your creations..do u have facebook atal..
    by the way your beach looks awesome, lots and lot of lovely wood..
    shell

68. New here….only got here a year later! ;-) THIS post is the answer to my prayers! I have been searching for a tut to get one of these babies up and running in time for Christmas this year, and viola! – I thankfully stumbled onto yours. Can’t wait to get started, but first up, thanx heaps for sharing all the details. Happy festive season to you and yours. Heather x

69. Pingback: the mantel {Christmas 2012} - the space between

70. Pingback: 10 home made gift ideas - the space between

71. The driftwood tree is perfect!!…I am envious that you can just pluck the driftwood from the beach…I almost “bought” a piece of driftwood in the summer…bought thought…no, i think I shall try and find one…it would be so much better…but no luck…no driftwood in the land of acorns….

72. Pingback: on the road again the space between

73. Pingback: x is for ... - the space between

74. Pingback: a board & batten accent wall {living room progress!!} - the space between

75. Pingback: easy craft idea {driftwood fish} - the space between

76. Pingback: sea glass and driftwood christmas craft - the space between

77. Pingback: Day #29 - misery really does love company the space between

78. Jessica says:

I live on Oahu and I just collected a bunch of driftwood yesterday to make a Christmas tree. I read your instructions and they seem easy enough to follow, I hope mine turns out as good as yours!

79. Pingback: how this whole book deal went down the space between